Crispy Fried Oyster Mushrooms (Wait, it's not KFC?!)
We are stoked that Ben from Forage Mushrooms has opened his mushroom farm just down the road from us; we are now offering oyster mushrooms as an add on to our boxes! We are getting his slightly 'misfit' mushies - the ones with the slightly frayed edges or smaller heads.
Check out our recipe video here!
- 200g Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Cider vinegar
- Dried dill
- Garlic salt
- Your favourite hot sauce
- Preheat your oven or airfryer to 190 C.
- In a large bowl add your buttermilk. Add your mushroom and coat well. Leave to marinate for 20 mins.
- In another bowl, combine flour and your spices. Spoon mushrooms out of the buttermilk and dip each mushroom in the flour mixture, shake off excess flour.
- Grease the bottom of your airfry pan pan well (if you're using an oven then pop some greaseproof paper on a baking tray).
- Place mushrooms in a single layer, leaving space between them. Cook for 5 minutes, then roughly brush all sides with a little oil to promote browning. Continue cooking 5 to 10 more minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- While your mushrooms are cooking, combine all your dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, taste and season again.
- Once your crispy mushrooms are ready, enjoy straight away. We had ours in tortilla wraps with guacamole & sour cream too... ERRRMAGAWD.
The oyster mushrooms from The Forage.co - available as an add on in our Misfit Boxes! The ones we get our hands on are a little 'misfit' - the edges are a little frayed and sometimes a little broken. But they still look epic to us?!