Simple Cucumber Relish
This recipe has come from our awesome neighbour Jess! It's so delicious and moreish that she has even had to hide her stash from the hubby & kids to make sure it doesn't all go missing!
This recipe is perfect if you have a small quantity of cucumbers. Want to make more? Just double/triple/quadruple the quantities!
- 500g cucumber
- 250g brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 litre white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 plain flour
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard (you can use any mustard if you don't have this)
- 2tsp curry powder
- 1tsp cumin
- Grate cucumber, onion & garlic into a bowl and sprinkle with a small handful of salt. Leave for around 2-3 hours (if you have doubled/tripled this recipe then you need to add more salt and leave sitting for longer - maybe even overnight!)
- Pour off excess liquid. Pop in a pot and bring to the boil in a pot with sugar and 3/4 of your vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, mustard, spices & rest of the vinegar. Add to the boiling pot and stir well!
- Cook for 20 mins, stirring frequently
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal when hot (to learn how to seal jars, scroll on down!)
- Try and leave for 2 weeks before you enjoy. This helps the flavours develop.
** How to sterilise jam/ chutney jars **
Wash your jars and the lids in hot soapy water, but do not dry them. Instead, leave them to stand upside down on a roasting tray while they're still wet. Pop the tray of clean, wet jars and lids in to a preheated oven at 120ºC for about 15 mins