The beauty of this dish is it can be made in advance - prep everything and pop the dish in the fridge for up to 24 hours before you need it! Just be aware it will take longer to cook when coming out the fridge.
- 800g parsnip, peeled
- 400ml milk
- 200ml cream
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 4 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tbsp grated cheese (we're fans of a mature cheddar & edam mix)
- ground nutmeg, for flavouurrrr
- Slice enough parsnips thinly lengthways to cover the surface of a small ovenproof dish, then slice the rest thinly into rounds (keeping aside).
- Combine the milk, cream, stock, mustard and half the cheese in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add a good pinch of nutmeg and LOTS of S&P then tip in all the parsnips. When the cream is simmering again, cover with a lid and cook for 6 mins.
- Using tongs, fish out the long slices of parsnip and set to one side. Tip the rest into your dish, then arrange the long slices over the top. Scatter with the rest of the cheese and another wee pinch of nutmeg.
- To serve, heat oven to 180C (160 for fan oven) and bake for 1 hr. Then turn up to 200C (fan 180C) and brown for 15 mins more. Voila and YUUUUM!