Broccoli Stem Tempura
STOP! Don't throw away your broccoli stem - here's an epic recipe to turn that usually wasted bit into a super delicious snack! The broccolis that come in our boxes are usually also delivered with leaves & side stalks... you can tempura those too! Just keep the leaves aside for throwing into your next stirfry dish.
For the tempura batter:
- 200g Plain Flour
- 100g Cornflour
- 250 Cold Fizzy Water (Soda Water)
- Pop some oil into a deep frying pan or saucepan. The oil should come up to between your first and second knuckle (TEST THIS DEPTH WHEN THE OIL IS COLD AYE?!)
- Chop your broccoli stem into long thin strips. Not too thin though, as you still want some bite and don't want them to burn.
- Mix all your batter ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until combined and pop your veggie stems into the batter until well coated.
- Fry in the oil for around 45 seconds, or till golden brown in colour
- Remove from the oil and pop onto a plate lined with kitchen towel (this will help absorb any excess oil) Before transferring to your serving plate, season your tempura with some salt.
- Voila! Enjoy with your favourite Asian style dipping sauce (we're big fans of sweet chili sauce mixed with soy sauce)