Rumbledethumps! (Scottish Cheesy Swede Bake)
A classic Scottish dish: leftover mashed potato are used up alongside swede, cabbage & cheese! Its a winter warmer (although eaten all year round in Scotland..!)
- Potato (Boiled & mashed)
- Swede (Lightly boiled & mashed - so it still has some bite to it)
- Green Cabbage (finely sliced)
- Salt & Pepper
- Cheese (ideally mature cheddar)
- Pre-heat your oven
- Add mashed swede & potato to a bowl.
- Add butter to a pan and add your cabbage. Sauté for several minutes until softened (but not brown)
- Add your cabbage to your swede/ potato mix and season with salt & pepper (lots is good!)
- Place your swede mix into an oven-proof dish, sprinkle cheese on top, pop a lid or foil on top and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove lid and cook for another 5 mins to make the top crispy.
- Serve piping hot and imagine the bagpipes playing...
*The beauty of this dish is that you don't have to worry about quantities. If you are using leftovers, then what you have will dictate the recipe. Everyone in Scotland has their own version, so adjust the recipe to suit your taste!
What temperatue do you cook it on? It doesn’t mention that
Norma Cobley on