Quick Pickled Onion
Overload of onions? Don't waste them! Preserving food is the perfect way to help fght food waste, it's so simple and easy using only two main ingredientes.
- 3 to 4 medium red onions, peeled and thingly sliced (can use brown onions too)
- 1 cup white vinegar (can also use cider vinegar)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes, optional
- 1 clean jar or air tight container
- First make your pickling juice by simply mixing all ingredients in a saucepan, place on the stove on high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for a few minutes letting the sugar dissolve, then turn the heat off a let it cool while you slice your onions.
- Place your onions in a jar, pushing them down and fitting as much as you can, fill the jar with the pickling juice and close it tight. You can enjoy them after a few hours, but they get better by the time!