Potato Peel Chips
Are you someone who peels every vegetable, regardless of how you are going to be cooking it? Or do you do it out of habit, reaching for the peeler on auto pilot?
Well Stop!! Peeling veggies is a waste of food, time, money, fiber and nutrients.
In fact, peeling vegetables contributes a huge amount of unnecessary waste to our landfills and compost bins every year. Collectively in NZ we throw away 13,658 tonnes of vegetables peelings every year. Here is a simple and easy recipe to turn those peels into delicous, fibre-filled chips!
- Potato peel
- 1-2 tsp of oil
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Seasoning Ideas: cumin, paprika, chilli powder, rosemary, oregano
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C. First of all you will need to peel your potatoes with a potato peeler (potato peel does not keep well, so get the peelings straight onto a baking tray.)
- Drizzle the oil over your peelings and sprinkle over your chosen seasoning/spices.
- Use your hands to mix everything together, until the peelings are evenly coated in the oil and seasoning.
- Make sure the peelings are in an even layer and then place into the oven until slightly brown and crunchy, about 8-10 minutes.
You can try other vegetable peelings, like carrot and parsnip!