Potato Peel Crisps
Are you someone who peels every vegetable, regardless of how you are going to be cooking it? Or do you do it out of habit, reaching for the peeler on auto pilot?
Well Stop!! Peeling veggies is a waste of food, time, money, fiber and nutrients.
In fact, peeling vegetables contributes a huge amount of unnecessary waste to our landfills and compost bins every year. Collectively in NZ we throw away 13,658 tonnes of vegetables peelings every year. Here is a simple and easy recipe to turn those peels into delicous, fibre-filled chips!
- Potato peel
- 1-2 tsp of oil
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Seasoning Ideas: cumin, paprika, chilli powder, rosemary, oregano
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. First of all you will need to wash your potatoes. Then peel them! using a potato peeler (potato peel does not keep well, so get the peelings straight onto cooking.)
- Place your peel into a bowl, drizzle the oil over, add salt and pepper and sprinkle your chosen seasoning/spices. I used smoked paprika and garlic powder. Yumm!
- Use your hands to mix everything together, until the peelings are evenly coated in the oil and seasoning.
- Place on a baking tray and make sure the peelings are in an even layer and then place into the oven until slightly brown and crunchy, about 8-10 minutes. Watch out! they can burn quickly.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce. Sour cream & chives works beautifully!
You can try other vegetable peelings, like carrot and parsnip!