Crispy Hasselback Potatoes
Crispy, buttery and full of flavor! Take your potatoes to the next level with this extremely easy and super versatile. You can even get your kids involved to help you out and have a fun cooking day.
- 7 to 8 medium size potatoes, starchy ones like agria works best for this dish.
- 100 g butter, melted
- 1 garlic bulb
- A handful of fresh herbs, rosemary, thyme, oregano work best
- 250g sour cream
- 50g fresh chives, chopped
- Chili oil (optional) can also use chili flakes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- S & P to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 c.
- Scrub your potatoes and slice them up, cutting two-thirds the way down, leaving at least 1.5cms of base. Using chopsticks will help you achieve this. Thinner slices will work best, but is not a essential.
- Place on a baking tray (cut-side-up) lined with parchment paper, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper making sure to get the inside of the potato slices.
- Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- At the same time, cut the top of the garlic bulb, put in a piece of foil paper with oil and salt, close well and place it in the potato tray. Roast for around 30 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- When garlic is ready, mixed with melted butter and fresh herbs. Set aside
- Take the potatoes out the oven and use tongs to gently squeeze the base of each potato to open up the folds.
- Use a pastry brush to get the roasted garlic butter in every fold possible and all over the potatoes.
- Place back in the oven for another 20 minutes to crisp the top up and get that herb infused butter flavor all over them.
- Make the sauce by mixing sour cream, chives, salt and pepper and the secret ingredient, chili oil! This is completely optional.
When you take potatoes out of the oven make sure they are soft and cooked all the way through.
Now this is your time to get creative! Spread your sour cream and chives on a large dish, plate your potatoes and top up with the rest of your chives.
Serve warm or at room temperature and make sure you save your leftovers for tomorrow's potato salad lunch!