Easy Pan Roasted Kohlrabi (with optional bacon!)
What is kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is a part of the brassica family (cauli, cabbage, broccoli) and it's taste and texture are like a cross between of a radish and cabbage. It has a slight peppery hint and is sweeter than a radish, AND has the texture of an apple! It can be eaten raw or cooked. Have we intrigued you yet?!
This recipe is a perfect quick option for home, especially if you don't want to turn on the oven to roast a little bit of veg for dinner! The entire thing can be done on your stovetop (and microwave if you want to save some time), and is the perfect accompaniment for any dinner. Imagine fried potatoes, but the low carb version! (so it's healthy right?!)
Need to bulk this dish up a bit? You can add turnip alongside too! It makes the perfect addition to the peppery, sweet kohlrabi.
- 1 medium kohlrabi
- 1 red onion (diced into small pieces)
- 2 pieces of bacon
- Some chives for garnish (not 100% needed)
- Dried dill (optional)
- Chop the kohlrabi (and maybe turnip) into small, equal sized pieces. Place in a microwaveable bowl, rinse with water but keep a tablespoon or so in the bowl. Cover and microwave for 2 mins to precook them.
- While they are cooking, get out a large frying pan and fry the 2 pieces of bacon. Once they are crispy, remove from the pan and put on a piece of kitchen roll to dry.
- Using the same frying pan with the bacon grease, add your par-cooked veg and red onion (and dill if you're using it). Season with black pepper and then turn down the heat to medium. Fry for a 5-7 minutes to get them nice and crispy. Cooking time may vary depending on the size your vegetables.
- Crumble the bacon and add back to the pan. Sprinkle chopped chives and serve.