Broccoli Stem & Parmesan Soup
Although broccoli stem can be a bit fibourous, its perfect for this blended soup recipe. Plus it has the exact same great taste and nutrients as the floret part!
- 2 tbsp butter or vegetable oill
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- Stems of 2 broccoli (or use the whole thing, if you don't have any other plans for the tops yet!)
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (50 g) grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Satlt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter or warm the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, covered, until tender and translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, potato, stock, nutmeg and S&P. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower to a simmer. Cook partially covered until potatoes and broccoli stalks are tender, about 20 minutes.
- (TOP TIP. If you want your soup to have a nice green colour when you've finished, then cook your broccoli tops seperately. Boil them rapidly for around 1 minute, and then immerse in ice cold water to blanch them. This will make them stay nice and green! Then add it to your soup mix just before you blend)
- Add the parmesan, and then puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Make sure you taste for seasoning. Add parmesan on top for garnish (and lets face it, we all love extra cheese!)