A classic Italian dish - luxuriously creamy and decadent. A guaranteed win for any dinner party or date night! We have 2 methods for cooking this - one is slightly more healthy. Aubergines are notorious for absorbing oil as they cook, so the healthy option involves baking in the oven.
- 2 large aubergines, sliced into thin slices about a 5mm thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g ricotta
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 150g mozzarella, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- A good splash olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 125ml red wine
- 1tsp of Sugar
There are 2 options for cooking your aubergine. First, cut them lengthways into 5mm slices, sprinkle with salt and leave in a colander to drain for half an hour.
- Heat a large frying pan. Fry the garlic and onion with a little oil until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano and wine. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Make sure to add a pinch of sugar, salt & pepper to enhance the flavour of your tomato sauce!
- Preheat the oven to 220oC
- In a medium-sized roasting tin, spread a little tomato sauce over the bottom of the tin. Add a layer of aubergine slices and spread another layer of tomato sauce on top.
- Spread half the ricotta on the top and sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper. Continue to repeat the layers until all the aubergine is used. Finish with a layer of mozzarella slices topped with a final sprinkle of Parmesan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve the parmigiana hot with your choice of side dish. We love a fresh green salad!