300g of smoked salmon
500g pack shortcrust pastry (thawed if frozen)
2 small leeks, sliced
75g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
2 large eggs
200g half fat crème fraiche
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh dill or parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 20cm (8in) flan ring or flan dish. Line with crumpled foil or greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake ‘blind’ (without a filling) for 10 minutes.
- Take the flan from the oven and remove the foil or paper and baking beans.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the leeks for 3-4 minutes. Cool a little, then scatter over the flan base with the cheese and smoked salmon pieces.
- Beat the eggs and crème fraiche together. Season. Pour into the flan case, then bake for 30-35 minutes, until set. Serve warm or cold, garnished with fresh dill or parsley.
Misfits Tip! Metal flan tins are best as they conduct heat efficiently, cooking the pastry to give a crisp base.