Whole Roasted Glazed Swede
- 1 whole swede (500g)
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Good quality oil
- 50g muscovado or molasses sugar
- 20g grain mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven 180C
- Wash the swede and pat dry.
- Using a sharp small knife, score the skin of the swede diagonally one way and then diagonally the other. You are wanting to go about 1 cm deep with the cuts. The idea is when it cooks the glaze will seep into the cuts as they open when cooking.
- Press the cloves into the flesh of the swede. This requires a little effort.
- Run enough oil over the swede and season lightly with salt and pepper. Get a large sheet of baking paper or foil and place the bay leaves in the middle. Place the prepared swede on top and loosely seal the paper/foil around the swede. Place onto a baking dish and bake for 40 -50 minutes or until the swede is well cooked.
- To make the glaze, mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Remove from the oven and remove the paper. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 130C.
- Brush the glaze over the whole swede and return to the oven for a further 20-30 minutes or until the swede is golden,sticky and caramelised.
- Carve at the table and serve alongside your favourite roast or make it the star of the show with a simple green salad and punchy horseradish cream.