Tuna Sweetcorn Burgers
This recipe is super easy, quick, and a guaranteed favourite with people of all ages. The beauty is, even if its not sweetcorn season you can use a tin! We also reckon it's a double whammy for fighting food waste, because you can use up those stale bits of bread in the mix too! *fancy zinging the burger up a bit? We love adding some ground cumin and smoked paprika!*
- 1 sweetcorn - cooked, cooled and kernels cut off
- 2 x cans tuna in water (drained well)
- 25g grated cheddar
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 85g bread, torn into pieces
- wholegrain bread rolls, lettuce, salsa, to serve
- 1tsp wholegrain mustard (optional)
- Cook your sweetcorn, let it cool and carefully cut off the kernels with a knife (stand the sweetcorn up on a chopping board and use a knife to cut downwards). Did you know you can cook your sweetcorn in the microwave?! Just leave the husks on, remove the excess stem, and pop on high for 2 minutes.
- In a blender, whizz half the sweetcorn kernels until finely chopped and add to a bowl. Then whizz the bread in the food processor to crumbs and add to the same bowl.
- Add the remaining whole corn, tuna, cheese, spring onions and some seasoning into the bowl and mix well. Add the egg, bit by bit (you may not need it all), until the mixture is sticky enough to be shaped into four even-size burgers.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, then cook the burgers for 5 mins on each side until golden and hot through the middle. Now it's time to build your burger! Pop into a bread roll and add lettuce, tomato, avocado and HEAPS of mayo :D