Skip to content
Spiced Pan-fried Chayote (Choko)
The crisp pale flesh of the chayote has the texture of cucumber. When cooked, you can be reminded of baby zucchini or summer squash.
- 2-3 chayote squash skin, peeled and cubed into 2 cm pieces
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ juice of a lemon
- Heat a pan up on medium heat, drizzle oil, when hot add onion and garlic and cook until becomes translucent (about 4 minutes)
- Add chayote and salt, turmeric, cumin, paprika and pepper and cook until chayote is cooked through (about 8 – 10 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- If spices are sticking to the pan just add a tiny bit more oil.
- When ready, turn off the heat and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top.
- Serve with rice, flatbread or even as a taco filling with sour cream and guacamole.