Filipino Eggplant Omelette (Tortang Talong)
Tortang talong is a Filipino type of omelette - it consists of grilled eggplants which are soaked in a beaten egg mixture and then fried. It is honestly one of the BEST ways to enjoy your eggplant! This is a simple yet delicious Filipino recipe that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner.
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 egg, Beaten
- 1 garlic clove; mashed & chopped finely
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- Any herb of your choice (fresh or dried)
- Heat your oven to 200°C
- Poke the eggplant with a fork and roast it in the oven for 15 minutes (if you have a gas stove, you can roast it on the burners until the skin is black)
- Once the eggplant is roasted, transfer it in a bowl and cover it and cool down until you can handle it with your hands.
- Meanwhile, crack the egg in the bowl, add the salt, pepper, chopped garlic and herbs. Beat until combined
- Once the eggplant is cooled down, place in a bowl and put a plate over the top (this causes condensation, so makes it easier to peel).
- Peel the skin. Place on a plate and gently flatten the eggplant until it is flat enough and the thickness is even all over. (Leave the tops on!)
Dip the flattened eggplant in the beaten egg mixture
Heat the pan and and add your oil
Fry the eggplant (that was dipped in the beaten mixture). Makes sure that both sides are cooked. Frying time will take you about 3 to 4 minutes per side on medium heat.
Mashing your eggplant