Kohlrabi & Apple Raw Salad
What is kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is a part of the brassica family (cauli, cabbage, broccoli) and it's taste and texture are like a cross between of a radish and cabbage. It has a slight peppery hint and is sweeter than a radish, AND has the texture of an apple! It can be eaten raw or cooked. Have we intrigued you yet?!
- 1 Medium Large Kohlrabi (cut into matchsticks about 1cm wide)
- 1 large apple (red or green - cored and cut into matchsticks about 1cm)
- ¼ cup fresh herb of your choice (tarragon or Italian parsley works well)
- 3 tablespoons toasted walnuts or sunflower seeds (or any seeds!)
- Lemon zest
- Good glug of olive oil,
- Good glug of lemon juice
- Salt & freshy ground pepper
- Red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Crumbled feta (optional)
- In a large serving bowl, combine the kohlrabi and apple sticks (and red onion, if you are wanting to add it). Add your fresh chopped herbs and nuts/ seeds. Shave the lemon zest liberally over the bowl (we used around half a large lemons worth).
- Drizzle around 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, then add some fresh pepper & salt. Use your hands to gently toss the salad. Add another drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice if the salad seems dry, but the dressing is part of the hero of this dish, so don't be shy!
- Finish with another light sprinkle of salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- You could also add some feta to this dish, to really make it SIIIIINNNGGGG