Kamokamo Lasagne (Low Carb & Keto Friendly)
A great recipe for a lighter style lasagne or for anyone avoiding carbs, as this lasagne uses thin slices of kamokamo instead of pasta! Perfect for tricking the kids into eating more veggies.
*It's good to note, if you have a large kamokamo, the skin may be a little too tough to eat. If thats the case, just peel off the skin before slicing for this recipe.
- 450g mince (Optional. We love tinned brown lentils as a veggie alternative!)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 4 baby carrots, peeled and chopped (plus, keep a handful of carrot tops)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 420g passata or sieved tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh (dried is good too)
- 1 pinch salt, pepper & sugar to taste
- 1 kamokamo, sliced lengthways into 2mm thick strips.
- 225g cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 85g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 20g grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook the mince until evenly brown. Drain away any fat. (If you're using brown lentils, then skip this step. Just add your lentils into your pan once you've sauteed your onions & veggies)
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the passata. Season with chopped carrot tops, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add a teaspoon of sugar to help balance out the acid of the tomato.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- In the bottom of the baking dish, layer 1/2 the kamokamo strips. In a bowl, beat together the cottage cheese and egg and spread over the kamokamo.
- Spoon some of the beef/ lentil mixture over the cottage cheese and egg mixture and sprinkle mozzarella cheese. Layer again with kamokamo, beef/lentil mixture and mozzarella. Repeat until you've used up all your ingredients! Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.
Yummy!! Going to make this!