Epic Herby Quinoa Tabbouleh
Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern salad that’s usually made with fresh parsley, bulgur wheat, tomatoes, cucumbers, and heaps of lemon juice and olive oil. Our version here is made with quinoa instead! (although you can use bulgur wheat if you fancy)
This epic salad is a staple in Greek, Lebanese and Syrian cuisine. YIt's often servied alongisde hummus, babaganoush & flatbread in a mezze platter. The freshness of the lemon and earthy flavour of the italian parsley are the perfect combo!
For this dish, making the quinoa in advance is helpful. You don’t want hot quinoa for tabbouleh (when the quinoa is hot it retains more moisture... you want as much as possible gone for this to avoid it sticking together) The easiest way to make this salad is to cook the quinoa in advance and refrigerate.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 bunch italian parsley (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint (you can use a peppermint teabag if not available!)
- ¼ red onion (or 3 spring onions) finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber (finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- Big glug of good quality olive oil
- Make the quinoa: Rinse using a fine sieve. Place it in a saucepan with 2 cups water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and simmer VERY gently until the water is absorbed (around 15 mins). You can check if its ready by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if water remains.
- Turn off the heat and let sit with the lid on to steam for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Cool the quinoa to room temperature: To do this quickly, pop the quinoa onto a baking sheet and spread it in an even layer. Pop it in the freezer for 2 to 3 minutes until cooled to room temperature. (or you can be more organised than us and make it in advance of making your salad..!)
- While it's cooling, chop all your veggies! Small and fine is best.
- Make your dressing: Juice your lemons and whisk together with the olive oil. In a large bowl, toss the quinoa and vegetables with the dressing, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust as necessary. This salad can keep in the fridge for 3-4 days!