Fennel Frond Pesto
- 1 cup toasted walnuts (you can also use; pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, pinenuts, almonds, etc)
- 3 cups loosely packed fennel fronds
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil (plus extra)
- Toast the walnuts (or your choice of seeds/other nuts) over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, or until they start to turn a nice golden brown color. Set aside to cool.
- Add the nuts or seeds, fennel fronds, lemon/lime juice, garlic and salt to a food processor. Add in half of the olive oil and pulse or blend until incorporated. Continue blending while slowly pouring in the rest of the olive oil and desired consistency is reached (you may need to add in a little more olive oil or water 1 teaspoon at a time if you prefer it thinner)
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for later use.
Add it to some freshly cooked pasta; put a swipe on your sandwich; dollop some on some fresh salmon before baking; or use it anywhere you would normally use a pesto.