Chickpea Pancakes with Kale & Fennel
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 - 420g can chickpeas, drained
- 1Tbsp. za’atar (or curry powder, chili powder, or frankly any other combination of mild ground spices)
- 1 small bunch curly kale, stemmed, leaves torn (any other green leafy can be use too)
- 1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced crosswise
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Whisk chickpea flour, 1 Tbsp. oil, a pinch of salt, and ½ cup water in a medium bowl. Let the batter sit at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour to let flour hydrate.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. oil and 2 garlic cloves in a pan over medium, tossing occasionally, until garlic is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add chickpeas and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, tossing occasionally, until chickpeas are lightly browned, 6–8 minutes. Add your choice of ground spices and toss several times to coat chickpeas; season with salt.
- Add kale and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until kale wilts, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, add fennel, and toss to combine. Keep the pan.
- Finely grate (or chop) remaining garlic clove into a small bowl. Whisk in tahini, lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. oil, and 2 Tbsp. water until thick and smooth. Season with salt.
- Heat 1½ tsp. oil in your pan over medium-high. Add half of your chickpea batter to center of the pan and tilt it so that it spreads out to a thin pancake. Cook, undisturbed, until well browned and crisp underneath, 2–3 minutes (crank up the heat to high if needed to get crunchy edges and nice browning). Turn and cook just until lightly browned on second side, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining 1½ tsp. oil and batter.
- Top each pancake with chickpea salad. Drizzle with tahini sauce and enjoy inmediately!