This delicious pesto can be made a few days before Christmas day - just keep it in the fridge until you need to serve!
For the courgette
- All the courgette from your box, thick sliced (about 2-3 cm)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
For the carrot top pesto
- 1 small bunch of baby carrot tops
- 1 big bunch of parsley (stalks removed)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds, toasted (or any nuts if you prefer) - you will use these in the other recipes too, so toast a full cup.
- 1 lemon – zested & squeezed
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Place a big pan over medium heat, when hot; add a splash of olive oil. Add your thick slices of courgette and cook for about 10 min, shaking the pan every few minutes so they don’t burn but they get that nice caramelisation. Add Salt & Pepper.
- When ready set aside.
CARROT TOP PESTO
- Cut the carrot tops and pick out and discard any dry, yellowed, or otherwise unappetizing looking leaves. Give them a good rinse and drain.
- Place carrot tops, curly parsley, garlic, toasted seeds or nuts and salt & pepper in a food processor or small blender and pulse several times. Scrape the sides down with a rubber spatula.
- While the food processor is running, slowly pour in the olive oil and blend until smooth.
Spread the cooked courgettes on a nice long plate, drizzle with a few spoonfuls of pesto. Crumble your feta on top and garnish with freshly chopped herbs (mint is a winner!)