Skip to content
Spiced Panfried Chayote (Choko)
The crisp pale flesh of the chayote has the texture of cucumber. When cooked, you can be reminded of baby zucchini or summer squash.
- 2-3 chayote squash skin, peeled and cubed into 2 cm pieces
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ juice of a lemon
- Heat a pan up on medium heat, drizzle oil, when hot add onion and garlic and cook until becomes translucent (about 4 minutes)
- Add chayote and salt, turmeric, cumin, paprika and pepper and cook until chayote is cooked through (about 8 – 10 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- If spices are sticking to the pan just add a tiny bit more oil.
- When ready, turn off the heat and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top.
- Serve with rice, flatbread or even as a taco filling with sour cream and guacamole.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.