This is an amazing recipe I gained from an amazing place where is used to work. A bit different from the "standard" carrot cakes recipes, but that is what makes it special.
3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sunflower or canola oil
3 large carrots, cooked and mashed
1 tin crushed pineapple
1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Grease and line 2 spring-form tins
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl place oil, eggs, pineapple, vanilla and carrots. Mix well.
- Fold wet mix into dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared tins and bake for about 40 mins at 180 C degrees or until a skewer comes out clean.
For the cream cheese icing
250 g butter (softened)
600 g cream cheese
3 cups icing sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Beat butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth and pale.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing tins.
- Ice one of the cakes with the cream cheese icing, then place remaining cake on top of the other. Ice the top of the last cake.
- Decorate with chopped walnuts, cranberries, pumpkin seeds or your choice of topping.